Wednesday, April 9, 2008

just like that

I just made an interesting connection... I've been making many of them, lately. But this one has to do with more metaphysical subject matter.

At the moment, I happen to be sick. Not down-and-dirty sick, but definitely in a place wher not much else is physically important, other than taking it easy and letting the Keflex and pathogen in my system duke it out. When I do this, I read most of the time, or watch marathon TV.

I just got a new book today... in fact, the doorbell of the UPS dude/tte woke me up. So my choice seemed made.

Anyway. I had an early insight about a week ago, and you might laugh at me... after you hear it, you'll go "duh", but I reasoned it out, and it's relevant. If someone is sleeping, saying their name is not helpful in waking them up. Eventually, if you say it enough and say it loudly, the other person will probably wake up.

Odds are the sleeper will remember it as maybe they were aware of someone saying their name, and eventually they figured out that it wasn't incorporated dream stuff... it was the real world, waking them up. We incorporate a lot, but one thing we can't really incorporate is "dude you're sleeping, dreaming, but now it's time to wake up."

It occurred to me this would work perfectly, adn I might not have to repeat it or increase the volume. To some extent, the sleeper is aware of whats going on around them; the name-only thing provides no context, and gets woven in to the fabric of what's going on, unrecognized. Speaking the words, a simple phrase, about what's going on is ininitely more effective.

I tested this on Hemp this weekend. First Idid my little control test... the name getting louder and louder. No dice, Hemp slept. Then I tried my one calm, low phrase. Hemp, you're sleeping. I need you to wake up for a second.

Instantly his eyes shot open.

I need to do it more, with and without the name thing first, but anecdotally, my initial impressions are good.

Anyway, I'm reading about metaphysics and the afterlife at this moment. I see a lot of similarities between what the current athor I'm reading describes as the state of many individuals just after death, and sleepy people here. They're a bit hard to reach, but a firm set of instructions or heartfelt set of impressions they can wrap themselves up in and act on is usually enough to blow away the fog.

Lots more here, but I want to read on. The sleep state is very similar to the just-passed state ( well, on the other side, at least ) as well as how we perceive things here during our lives.

How many times have I heard that phrase... people going through life asleep? It seems easy enough, but I am starting to gain an actual knowledge of it, instead of an intellectual insight.

More later.

No comments: