Saturday, April 5, 2008

File system

How many enterprises could benefit from a standard, tweakable file system pattern? I know the one I currently work for could.

At the moment, the company I contract to keeps all the files my unit uses organized via the directory/folder model, on shared drives. Not very changeable or scalable.

What if you could develop a more standard one that many different enterprises or industries could use? I might use a wiki, with descending layers of complexity so that a start up with one server could use a version of it, and a full-on enterprise of thousands could use it as well.

Information architects note. It could be developed open-source, refined over time, and given away. Other versions could be tweaked and sold, as could consultant services.

Just thinking out loud, here.

No comments: